Thursday 2 October 2008

The Guardian Angels

'Bless the Lord, all you angels of the Lord. Sing his glory and praise forever.'
(Entrance antiphon).

Pope Clement X proclaimed the feast a memorial celebration in the seventeenth century, but devotion goes back to the beginning of Christianity. God has allocated a Guardian Angel to each of us for our protection.

Sacred Scripture says this: 'Are they not all ministering spirits, sent for service, for the sake of those who shall inherit salvation'. (Heb 1:14)

Many saints and holy people enjoyed friendship with their Guardian Angels, whose intercession they frequently sought.

St Josemaria Escriva had a particular devotion to the Guardian Angels; it was exactly on the Feast the Lord let him clearly see the founding of Opus Dei and through this foundation the universal call to holiness would echo throughout the world.

Today let us reaffirm our devotion to our Guardian Angel since we are all in much need of him.

Angel of God, My Guardian Dear,
to whom God's love commits me here.

Ever this day be at my side,
to light and guard and rule and guide.

Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Feeling very low one night unable
to sleep I cried to God to help
me and was ministered to by an
Angel, upon waking I felt
refreshed and healed. A prayer
my mother taught me as a child
and I still recite when I go to
bed: Dear Lord, please keep us
safe this night, secure from all
our fears, may Angels guard us
while we sleep til morning light
appears! Thank you Lord for
sending your Angels to guard
and protect us.