Thursday 1 October 2009

St Thérèse . . .

With being away, I have missed the opportunity to post about many important feast days recently (including my own namesake St Michael, on Tuesday!)

However, I couldn't let today end without a brief reference to St Teresa of the Child Jesus, or St Thérèse of Lisieux as she is perhaps better known.

Here is a short extract from the excellent website of the Society of the Little Flower

"My mission - to make God loved - will begin after my death," she said. "I will spend my heaven doing good on earth. I will let fall a shower of roses." Roses have been described and experienced as Saint Therese's signature. Countless millions have been touched by her intercession and imitate her "little way." She has been acclaimed "the greatest saint of modern times." In 1997, Pope John Paul II declared St. Therese a Doctor of the Church - the only Doctor of his pontificate - in tribute to the powerful way her spirituality has influenced people all over the world.

I'm very much looking forward to our visit to Aylesford on Friday to venerate the relics of St Thérèse as I'm sure many others are. Meanwhile . . .

St Thérèse, pray for us.

2 comments:

Maria teresa said...

Dear Fr Miceal

Oh how wonderful your write up about St Therese. May she always bless you and all those,who touch with your life!I feel so grateful that my parents named me after her, knowing secretly that one day I would turn to her with all my heart and soul!Happy feast day to all those who carry the little flower's name. With joy and prayers coming your way, embrace Ireland for us. Maria Teresa

Cindy said...

Welcome back Fr Míċeál. We missed your presence on the blog as well as in the sanctuary!